Wednesday, December 10, 2014

In Honor of Her Father

In November, Stacey McMullen and Cassie Clayton (pictured right) called City Mission to see if they could volunteer in the kitchen on November 19. In speaking with Volunteer Manager Sue Gartland, Cassie and her mom Stacey revealed why they wanted to serve on this specific day: November 19 is the anniversary of the death of Cassie's father Matthew Clayton --- a long time community member who enjoyed eating in City Mission's Feed My Sheep Dinning Room for three years.

"This is the number one thing I wanted to do today to honor my father," Cassie said. She also spoke of how grateful she is that City Mission's Samaritan Care provided food bags and a warm winter jacket for her dad when he had very little. 
"I wanted to serve at the Mission today to help myself deal with today, and I wanted to help someone that's in the same position he was in," she explained. "By helping him, the Mission gave me three more years with him, and I'm really grateful."
The City Mission staff feel truly blessed to be able to help Matthew and others like him in the community!

No comments:

Post a Comment